Threats, accusations, and intimidation are tactics used by abusive leaders or groups to maintain power and control over their members.
Isolation is one tactic used by abusive leaders and groups to maintain power and control over their members.
Chuck O'Neal, Beaverton Grace Bible Church, Jeff Rose, Dr. Edward Delcour, Mike Gendron, Mike Stockwell, and Robert Gray, Evangelism Reformation Conference, Reformation Fire Conference https://twitter.com/ChuckONeal_/status/883432785221894144 *** I don't have a problem with those tweets. On the surface, they are fine. But even false teachers get things right. The Bible tells us: For certain individuals whose… Continue reading Pastor Chuck O’Neal Continues to Pull the Wool over His Evangelist Friends’ Eyes
Spiritual Abuse, Pastor Ken Garrett, Spiritual Abuse in the church: A Guide to Recognition and Recovery *** Ok, here we go, plowing through Pastor Ken Garret's dissertation about spiritual abuse. I used the word plowing intentionally. For some of us, it will be work. It is not enjoyable to be reminded about difficult experiences. However,… Continue reading Blog Series: Spiritual Abuse in the Church: A Guide to Recognition and Recovery by Pastor Ken Garrett, Wk 2
How to help a family member or friend leave a high-controlling church group or cult: spiritual abuse, trapped, thought reform, mind control, freedom “Mind control is the process by which individual or collective freedom of choice and action is compromised by agents or agencies that modify or distort perception, motivation, affect, cognition and/or behavioral… Continue reading Help! My Family Member or Close Friend is Trapped in a High-Controlling Church or Cult. How Can I Encourage Them to Leave?
*** Here are some interesting articles that have been making the rounds: If you have not seen Spotlight, I urge you to see it. It is about "Spotlight" a specific group of investigative reporters from the Boston Globe who uncovered the systemic sex abuse and cover-up in the Catholic Church. This movie is very… Continue reading A Spotlight on Abuse and Death of VCY America Founder Vic Eliason
The Gospel Coalition (TGC), Sovereign Grace Ministries Sex Abuse Scandal, CJ Mahaney, Spotlight Movie If you haven't seen the movie, Spotlight, it is a must-see, and I will likely be posting some of my thoughts on the movie in the upcoming weeks after more people have a chance to see it. However . .… Continue reading After The Gospel Coalition Staunchly Defended CJ Mahaney in Sovereign Grace Ministries Sex Abuse Scandal, They Now Promote the Movie Spotlight (Sex Abuse Coverup)
Spiritual Abuse, Church, Understanding "You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally." Ezekiel 34:4 I was thinking last night about spiritual abuse. Do you think we are making any… Continue reading Discussion: Thoughts on Spiritual Abuse
Mike Sperou, Sex Abuse, Jennifer, North Clackamas Bible Community I saw this poem show up through my Facebook news feed. This is from Jennifer and you can read more about her here. Folks, this is the aftermath of sex abuse, of what it's like when your parents abandon you because they are brainwashed and defend their… Continue reading Friday Poem Therapy from a Survivor Sexually Abused by Her Pastor
Doug Wilson, Christ Church, CREC, Greyfriars Hall, Association of Classical & Christian Schools, Canon Press, New Saint Andrews, Steven Sitler, Jamin Wight ** To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. ~G.K. Chesterton Last night, I returned home after a 1-1/2 day trip… Continue reading Doug Wilson Series: Introduction, Christ Church Celebrates 40 years and Background
*** Pastor David McGee of The Bridge Church publicly excommunicated or disfellowshipped four members via his Facebook page. *** *** On Thursday, Pastor David McGee of The Bridge Fellowship in Kernersville, North Carolina, posted a comment on his Facebook account publicly naming and "disfollowshipping" four church members. I repeat - this was done PUBLICLY on… Continue reading Pastor David McGee Publicly Names and Excommunicates Four Church Members via His Facebook Page
Mark Driscoll preaches while former Mars Hill Members protest outside of Pastor Dan Kellogg's Gold Creek Community Church *** Pastor Dan Kellogg of Gold Creek Community Church invited Pastor Mark Driscoll, former pastor of Mars Hill churches, to preach at his Seattle-area church yesterday. There was also a protest outside during the service by about… Continue reading Pastor Mark Driscoll Preaches at Pastor Dan Kellogg’s Gold Creek Community Church
The pain of her leaving caused me to go deep and question the character of God which was being tainted by a man and his crude ideas, perpetuating a church of hate and discord against anyone who didn’t agree with him and his pure doctrine ideologies.
*** Pastor Mark Driscoll recently resigned from the church he founded, Mars Hill. Can Mars Hill be saved? *** Mars Hill plans on moving forward as clearly identified in this statement put out by the Mars Hill Board of Overseers: Michael Van Skaik, Larry Osborne, Jon Phelps, and Matt Rogers: On Tuesday, October 14,… Continue reading After Mark Driscoll’s Resignation, Can Mars Hill Be Saved?
Do individuals suffer harm when they remain in verbally or emotionally abusive relationships? Cindy Kunsman illustrates the effects through an account of spiritual abuse. By Cindy Kunsman, UnderMuchGrace.com After reading Julie Anne's post questioning whether divorce from an abusive spouse is actually a “sin,” I found myself thinking of the loss of perspective and… Continue reading Loss of Perspective: The Cost of Enduring Abuse
* * * Cindy Kunsman responds to fallen spiritual leaders and spiritual abuse after the Doug Phillips scandal. * * * Note from Julie Anne: This article, by Cindy Kunsman was originally posted at her blog, Under Much Grace, and she has given me permission to post… Continue reading When Your Religious Leader Falls Off the Pedestal
* * * Peter Bradrick, former intern, former Executive Assistant to the President at Vision Forum Shares Publicly That He is "Disowned" and Declared as "Destroyer" by Doug Phillips of Vision Forum * * * Peter Bradrick, a man closely connected with Doug Phillips and Vision Forum… Continue reading Doug Phillips: “Disowns” Former Vision Forum Executive Assistant to President, Peter Bradrick, Calls Him “Destroyer” When Confronted about Sins
* * * Doug Phillips was a powerful man. He used "godly" power and control to silence, to man the ship of his business, ministry, church, home, women, employees, and everything around him. * * * As we slowly watch the demise of the Doug Phillips empire,… Continue reading Doug Phillips: His Power and Control Using “Godly” Patriarchy
* * * Doug Phillips: a timeline of events, understanding true repentance and question about Phillips' teaching elder position at Boerne Christian Assembly * * * “Over the years, my sensitivity to these problems has only heightened, until several years ago, I set about to align with… Continue reading Doug Phillips: Question about Pastoral Position, Timeline of Events, and Understanding True Repentance
* * * Questioning authority or raising concerns can be the litmus test to see if your pastor is spiritually abusive or not. * * * * * * Oh boy, is this a biggie. I was really moved when this topic come… Continue reading When Sharing Concerns or Asking Pastors Questions Leads to Spiritual Abuse