Update on Alecia Pennington, the homeschool alumna who has no legal identification. The Washington Post has an update on the story of Alecia Faith Pennington, who was raised in a large conservative homeschool family without legal documentation to prove she is a US citizen: Alecia Faith Pennington describes herself as a Texan, born and… Continue reading Update on Alecia Pennington, Homeschool Alumna with No Legal Identification for Job, College, Passport, Driver’s License, etc.
*** What does the Bible say about parental authority? Is mom equal with dad? *** *** Disobedience to God can lead to judgment. If fathers relinquish a degree of their authority in the home, then their home could be at risk. Steve C. Halbrook *** So, tell me how it works in your home. Does… Continue reading Biblical Parental Authority: Is Mom Equal with Dad on the Hierarchy Ladder or is Dad on the Highest Rung?
*** Questions for dads to ask young men who are interested in their daughter *** *** This was posted on Todd Friel's Wretched Facebook page and is entitled: Not Rude Questions for a Young Man by Robert Bowen and Todd Friel We are not barbarians. Dads should not threaten a potential suitor with a fire-arm. … Continue reading Questions for Dads to Ask Young Men Who are Interested in Their Daughter
** There's a positive update to share on an earlier article I covered. Last month, I posted an article, Christian Parental Response to Teenagers or Adult Children in Rebellion, a sad story about a popular homeschool blogger and mother who claimed her daughter left home in disobedience. Here is one sentence from the blogger/mother from her… Continue reading Blogger/Mother Who Posted Public Article about Her Daughter’s “Disobedience” Has Changed Her Mind and Removed Post
Are Desiring God & John Piper shifting to "Biblical Patriarchy" over complementarianism, following Gregg Harris', Bill Gothard's, Scott Brown's, Doug Phillips' and Doug Wilson's courtship model? by Cindy Kunsman The champions of patriarchy worked hard last week, busy on the front lines by saving the world through their insight and wisdom. On June 11,… Continue reading Desiring God and Daddies Dating…Their Daughters’ Boyfriends? Is John Piper Promoting Patriarchy?
*** What is the appropriate response for Christian parents when our teenagers or adult children rebel? Do we intervene? Let them go? Do we shun? *** ADMIN NOTE: I have scrubbed the original article of links to the original article, removed names, except for first initials. H = mother/blogger E =… Continue reading Christian Parental Response to Teenagers or Adult Children in Rebellion
*** Johann and Kimery Jorg Abuse Case: HSLDA has given us homeschool liberties, but at what cost? A closer look at homeschool freedoms and parenting and safety of children *** Homeschoolers have fought for years to have the freedom to legally homeschool their children. Homeschool Legal Defense Association has worked to ensure that parents in… Continue reading To Train up a Child: Who Decides if it is Biblical or Not? When is it Abuse?
*** What is the responsibility of pastors for those they deem have "gone astray?" Do pastoral confidentiality rules apply even when someone resigns their church membership? *** *** The other day, I read an article, Stabbed in the Back by a Cult Leader and it left me feeling sad and angry. "Sheldon" is a… Continue reading Pastoral Confidentiality: Does it Still Apply after Church Member Resigns?
*** A homeschool mother responds to the influence of Doug Phillips in Patriarchy, in the Homeschool Movement, in Christian Homeschool Conferences, and how it has affected her family and her faith. *** A comment came in a bit ago from "devaneyjoy" on the article, Attempting to Set the Doug Phillips Record Straight: Part 2 - The… Continue reading Homeschool Mom Responds to the Doug Phillips Scandal and His Influence in Patriarchy, Christian Homeschool Movement and Conferences
*** Last week, Tim Fall of Tim's Blog - Just One Train Wreck After Another, and I connected about the possibility of a guest post and when he shared the content, there was a resounding "YES, please!!" from me. There's a lot of parenting advice out there, some of which can be harmful to our… Continue reading John Piper and Voddie Baucham: Bad Parenting Advice That’s Worse Than Bad Parenting
* * * In an effort to "raise up a child in the way they should go," some Christian homeschool parents are essentially kidnapping their daughters, only teaching "homemaking" skills, even denying and preventing them from getting a college education. * * * There are too many… Continue reading Homeschooled Adult Daughters Held Captive at Home, Prevented from Getting College Education
* * * While it's clear that a healthy marriage and family is important, have churches and Christian organizations put too much emphasis on God's design for the family and made this image an idol? * * * Focus on the Family raises money for new project… Continue reading God’s Design for the Family: Has the Godly-Designed Family Image Become an Idol?
* * * Twenty-four years ago, when I was pregnant with our second baby, we found out we were having a boy. When my mom heard the news, she found a doll to purchase for our first child, Hannah. She thought it would be good for Hannah to have her own… Continue reading Christian Parenting: Training Your Child’s Gender Identity
* * * This next story pains me. It's a personal one. Parenting is very challenging. Homeschooling children has also been a challenge. When we began homeschooling our children, we chose to do so for a number of reasons. We wanted to have better oversight over the curricula our children were taught because we wanted… Continue reading Ken Ham, Young Earth Creationism, Young People AbandoningTheir Faith: My Daughter’s Story
* * * The other day 18-yr old daughter posted this picture on my Facebook with the comment, "What I tell you every time." * * * * * * It cracked me up. But what was interesting to me was noticing the large amount of Facebook friends, also former homeschool kids, who were clicking… Continue reading Enough Already with the Modesty & Purity Hype
* * * One of the traps that we got ourselves caught in was looking to religious leaders for guidance on how to raise our children. It's ok to seek guidance, but we didn't always check what we learned with scripture. We read a lot of books and went to parenting… Continue reading Voddie Baucham: Prescription for Spanking and the Shy Child
Readers: I've had this post in my "draft posts" for quite some time, but the time to post it is now and I will explain more about that very soon. You'll see why it is important to hear from her own words. I shared my perspective of Hannah's story in the most popular blog post,… Continue reading Hannah’s Personal Story in Her Own Words
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4 On our very first Sunday at the church, I recall being in the nursery with my baby. A sweet teenager was helping with childcare and she told me in a matter-of-fact way that she… Continue reading Disobedient Children and Meetings with the Pastor