Single Christians, Divorced Christians, Cross-Gender Relationships, Church Response *** A woman found SSB and sent me an e-mail about her situation. The e-mail is from a single/divorced woman and the friendship she has with the praise and worship leader at her church. She, too, is on the praise and worship team. This kind of situation… Continue reading Single (Divorced) Woman Asks About Her Friendship with a Married Man from Church
Complementarianism, Women in the Church, Gender Roles, Proper Church and Family Roles -by Kathi This series is a review of God's Design, a children's book which teaches children about complementarity. For an introduction of the book, click here. All of the underlined subtitles below are chapters from the book. Today, children, we will talk about… Continue reading Review of Children’s Book “God’s Design” – The Church and Learning About Things We Already Know
Complementarian, Gender Roles, Being Married, Being Single, Desiring God's Influence -by Kathi This series is a review of God's Design, a children's book which teaches children about complementarity. For an introduction of the book, click here. All of the underlined subtitles below are chapters from the book. Today, children, we will talk about marriage and singleness,… Continue reading Review of Children’s Book “God’s Design” – Married/Single; Husband/ Father; Wife/Mother
Josh Harris, I Kissed Dating Goodbye, Courtship vs. Dating Yesterday, this happened on Twitter: https://twitter.com/elizabethesther/status/730233972404322304 https://twitter.com/HarrisJosh/status/730239252978491392 https://twitter.com/HarrisJosh/status/730241156622123008 Many are probably familiar with Josh Harris. He was mentored by C.J. Mahaney and took Mahaney's position as senior pastor at Covenant Life Church (Sovereign Grace Ministries flagship church) in 2004 until 2015, when he resigned. Michelle… Continue reading Has Josh Harris Kissed His Book Against Dating Good-Bye?
*** Pastor Matt Chandler gives advice on couples who are courting: "how far can we go?" *** On the Wretched show, Todd Friel read a viewer's question, "Once I start courting somebody, are we allowed to do anything?" Friel showed a video clip of Pastor Matt Chandler of The Village Church with his wife sitting… Continue reading Pastor Matt Chandler on Couples Who are Courting: “How Far is Too Far?”
***Learn to Discern: Is it better for a Christian woman to marry a kind and gentle unbeliever or an abusive Christian?***Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14 Over at Karen Campbell's blog, she's having a series of articles on… Continue reading Learn to Discern: Who would you choose to marry, an abusive Christian or a kind and gentle unbeliever?
*** Singles seem to be getting the short end of the stick in Christian churches and are often marginalized, shamed, and literally left alone. The Marginalization of Singles in Church - What is the Solution to This? *** Becky, found SSB through someone's link and responded to an old article on singles: Singles in the… Continue reading The Marginalization of Singles in Church – What is the Solution to This?
Hey, have you checked out this new Christian online dating site, Christian Tingle? It truly is a must see! Here's their new promo video: ***
* * * While it's clear that a healthy marriage and family is important, have churches and Christian organizations put too much emphasis on God's design for the family and made this image an idol? * * * Focus on the Family raises money for new project… Continue reading God’s Design for the Family: Has the Godly-Designed Family Image Become an Idol?
* * * Having been spoon-fed by my former pastor a form of extremism, or rigid, legalistic, black/white rules and practices, I have pressed myself to re-evaluate those rules and ideas and measure them with scripture using my own eyes and discernment. What freedom! The following article is by Brenda, a… Continue reading Can our Faith and Love Co-Exist with Extremism?
* * * I read a really good article this morning and it is timely for Mother's Day tomorrow. Are Women Really Saved through Childbearing? During the anguished time when a woman from my church was trying to conceive, she asked for prayer from a Christian coworker. "She flat out… Continue reading Motherhood and Failure
* * * Many of you know of my partnership with Homeschoolers Anonymous. In this blog, survivors have told their sometimes sad and disturbing stories of what it was like growing up as a homeschooled student. Here is how I connected with them. There is a subculture within the bigger umbrella… Continue reading We Need Safe Places, Or, Overturning Tables
* * * * * I'm joining Dee and Deb at The Wartburg Watch as they discuss the topic of singles in the church. I've learned a lot in this year of blogging and covered at least four stories… Continue reading Singles in the Church: Treated with Respect and Dignity?
I'm still getting comments on the UnMarried movie posts (More Background Info on the Movie: UnMarried and UnMarried Movie: Is Staying Single Sabotaging Chr... ) and today while looking through my Twitter feed, I noticed quite a few tweets on the topics of modesty and purity. In case you missed the brief movie trailer, here it is:I've discussed… Continue reading The UnMarried Movie: Singleness as a Result of Rigid and Controlled Parenting
There is a slice of heaven on earth when we can relate to one another in the church, regardless of the form our family takes, as individuals equal in worth, significance and value. ~Wade BurlesonThe other day, I posted about a new movie coming out called UnMarried. I really appreciated the contributions in the comments. Just… Continue reading More Background Info on the Movie: UnMarried
WARNING TO SINGLES: You just might blow a fuse after reading this. Brace yourselves.Yesterday I was reading SGMSurvivors.com blog and read this comment:Jenn Grover November 28th, 2012 at 11:06 pmPersona -- don’t even get me started on that line of thinking about singles. CJ got that straight from Mohler. “There is no biblical category for enduring… Continue reading UnMarried Movie: Is Staying Single Sabotaging Christianity?
Earlier when I posted about Patriarchal Movement in churches, I received an e-mail from Jennifer who shared her personal story with me. I have learned so much from my readers. When Jennifer shared her story with me, I was saddened and shocked that we, the church, have failed Jennifer and women like her.What can… Continue reading Single Women in the Church: Valued or Not?