Lori Alexander, Depression, Suicide -by Julie Anne and Kathi Lori Alexander runs a blog and Facebook page called The Transformed Wife. Her Facebook page has over 21,000 followers! She models her ministry using the Titus 2 idea of older women teaching younger women. After 23 years of a difficult marriage, she claims her marriage improved after she… Continue reading The Dangerous Teachings of Lori Alexander of The Transformed Wife
Lori Alexander, Depression, Counseling -by Kathi Lori Alexander recently posted a YouTube video on her channel titled, "Stop Feeling Sorry For Yourself." *** I have to ask this first: Why are people still making videos of themselves in their cars? I guess Lori was driving somewhere, had an inspirational moment about self-pity, and just… Continue reading Lori Alexander’s Damaging Advice Regarding Depression
The Keepers, Netflix, Cathy Cesnik, Systemic Sexual Abuse, Catholic Church, Spiritual Abuse, Clergy Sexual Abuse https://youtu.be/Khr7dbuBjuE *** The Keepers is a new documentary series airing on Netflix. I have watched 5 of the episodes and it is excellent. If you have seen Spotlight, it is similar, however, the investigative reporters in this case are two… Continue reading Let’s Discuss: The Keepers, Netflix Documentary Series about the Murder of Sister Cathy Cesnik and Systemic Sexual Abuse
Tullian Tchividjian article at ExPastors.com, clergy sex abuse, suicide, repentance, restoration *** Only one month after Tullian Tchividjian remarried, he has publicly released a new article at a site for former pastors, ExPastors.com. In the article, The Freedom in Losing it All, Tchividjian shares lessons he has learned about himself since his sexual scandal. https://twitter.com/expastors/status/780769275065856002 The following… Continue reading Ex-Pastor Tullian Tchividjian Speaks Out at Website for Ex-Pastors
Mental Health, Biblical Counseling, Geoffrey Kirkland, Addictions, Schizophrenia, Bi-Polar, Bulimia, ADHD This evening, I tweeted the following: https://twitter.com/DefendTheSheep/status/702398385924546560 After seeing this tweet: https://twitter.com/GeoffKirkland/status/701831415583928323 Who is Geoffrey Kirkland? From Geoffrey Kirkland's bio: Geoff grew up in St. Louis and then moved to LA to go to the Master's College. God saved Geoff in 2001. Geoff… Continue reading Troubling Tweets: Biblical Counseling to Treat Schizophrenia, Bulimia, Depression, ADHD?
*** Mental Health, prayer, Bible, professional counseling, harmful advice *** A friend found this quote and was very disturbed by it. When I saw it, I was equally disturbed...no, make that horrified, because it brought me back to a very difficult time in my life when it was said to me by well-meaning Christians: *** ***… Continue reading My Personal Mental Health Story: When Christians Say Potentially Harmful Words to Someone in a Mental Health Crisis
A look at Christian response to suicide.***Yesterday, I tweeted this after hearing of Robin Williams' death by suicide:I asked him if he considered depression to be sin?His response:***We had more exchanges, he refused to answer my question.I also got a personal e-mail from someone who had recently gone through postpartum depression and loss. She, too,… Continue reading Christian Response to Suicide
Commenters share about high-controlling pastors who leave a path of mental health destruction, even suicide, because they cannot get appropriate help. A while back, I found a comment at SGMSurvivor.com blog that cut like a knife. Sovereign Grace Ministries (SGM) is in the news a good bit because of the sex abuse lawsuits, but the subject… Continue reading Can High-Controlling Pastors Lead Their Members into Depression and Even Suicide?
*** Patterns of Abuse: What we can learn from the death and suicide letter of GOP Senate Aide, Jesse Loskarn? *** Jesse Loskarn, 35, was chief of staff to GOP's Senator Lamar Alexander from Tennessee. In mid-December 2013, Loskarn was arrested for possession and distribution of child porn. Officials found child porn on Loskarn's hard… Continue reading Patterns of Abuse: What we can learn from the death and suicide letter of GOP Senate Aide, Jesse Loskarn?
* * * “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Matt. 5:3-4 Today I stumbled across a disturbing article at One Lost Child blog. Blogger Cathy raises concerns regarding the care women will receive at… Continue reading Biblical Counseling: Is it Always Safe? – And Pastoral Response to Abuse Survivor
* * * This story is a special one to me. Regular reader, "BeenThereDoneThat" (BTDT) has been commenting on this blog since the first weeks here. During that time, I have watched her in her commenting as she has been recovering through a very difficult spiritually abusive church experience. I had… Continue reading BeenThereDoneThat and Flying Free: Spiritual Abuse, A Personal Story
* * * By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:35 This next story is sad. It reminded me of the many deaths attributed to "faith healing" at the Followers of Christ church near my former town in Oregon. … Continue reading Spiritual Abuse: Faith Healing and Parallels
* * * Many of you know of my partnership with Homeschoolers Anonymous. In this blog, survivors have told their sometimes sad and disturbing stories of what it was like growing up as a homeschooled student. Here is how I connected with them. There is a subculture within the bigger umbrella… Continue reading We Need Safe Places, Or, Overturning Tables
* * * "Mental illness" is a poor term, sounding like "It's just your mind." But a broken brain is as physical as a broken bone. Rick Warren tweeted 4/13/13 a week after his son committed suicide. I still have a couple of more thoughts regarding the Nally suicide case… Continue reading Black and White Teachings from the Pulpit: Helpful or Not?
* * * A friend sent me a tragic story this morning. It is an older story from 1979 involving John MacArthur's church, Grace Community Church, and a young man, Kenneth Nally, who at the age of 24 shot himself and died. He suffered from depression and sought counsel… Continue reading How do Churches Handle Difficult Mental Health Cases, Biblical Counseling, and the Law?
* * * I have been seeing a lot of response online regarding the death of Matthew Warren last week. As you are probably aware, Matthew, age 27, was the youngest son of Pastor Rick Warren, and last Friday after many years of depression and despair, he ended his own life.… Continue reading Biblical Counseling and Mental Health Crises: Does it Always Work?