While this article discusses my local area, it is applicable to all communities. I would like to use this article to brainstorm on how churches can serve their communities.
https://youtu.be/UIt3dx4an9c *** “Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person, they are almost indistinguishable.” ― David Augsburger The other day, a spiritual abuse survivor and friend I met last year in Moscow, Idaho, posted the following quote by Dr. Diane Langberg on her Facebook wall. Please read it… Continue reading The Gift of Standing in the Trenches with a Survivor
Phil Johnson, Tony Miano, Grace Community Church and Public Rebuking for Bad Public Behavior *** Last week, I posted this article, Open Air Preacher Tony Miano’s Insensitive Tweets after Nepal Earthquake Disaster, after Tony Miano sent out this tweet: There was an enormous negative response on Twitter directed towards Miano from Christians and non-Christians alike. Tony Miano has… Continue reading Phil Johnson, Tony Miano, Grace Community Church, and Public Rebuking for Public Behavior
*** Watch out for any celebrity or Christian leader who treats you differently in private. They are bullies. Have you seen this video of ESPN's reporter Britt McHenry who berates an employee at a towing company as she pays to collect her impounded vehicle? It's been making the rounds in social media and… Continue reading Bullies: Celebrity Leaders Who Act Different in Private Settings Reveal Their Heart
*** My friend, Pastor Jeff Crippen, who blogs about domestic violence at A Cry for Justice posted the following note on the A Cry for Justice Facebook page and I asked pretty please if I could share it with you. Yes, I really did say, "pretty please." LOL Sadly, at Spiritual Sounding Board, we do often… Continue reading Why Don’t Young People go to Church?
*** Alan Maricle aka @Rhology defends and imitates J.D. Hall's (aka @pulpitandpen) bad behavior on Twitter. *** Admin note: I'm going to take the easy route here and jump into a situation to discuss it without giving a lot of background. However, if you want to know the background of this story, please visit Wartburg Watch… Continue reading Who is @Rhology? What are #pulpiteers? How Do They Function?
* * * Questioning authority or raising concerns can be the litmus test to see if your pastor is spiritually abusive or not. * * * * * * Oh boy, is this a biggie. I was really moved when this topic come… Continue reading When Sharing Concerns or Asking Pastors Questions Leads to Spiritual Abuse
* * * I apologize in advance for the length of this post. Please read the Facebook status slowly and let it sink in, would you? * * * H/T to Meaghan Varela, my dear friend (aka the other Woman of Mass Destruction) and former defendant in… Continue reading Strange Fire Conference: John MacArthur, “Reformed Theology is not a Haven for False Teachers”
* * * Many people who have been hurt by religion want to escape from it. We'll take a look at an organization that is offering a refuge from religion, Recovering from Religion. Is this the answer? * * * * * … Continue reading Finding Refuge from Religion: Forever
* * * If you ever wanted to see love, empathy, compassion during a crisis, excellent listening skills, support, encouragement wrapped up in one package without ever having to take a class or read a book, I think I found it right here in this short video. This video encapsulates what… Continue reading How to Respond to a Someone in a Crisis: A Dad who Understands the Gift of Listening
* * * Having been spoon-fed by my former pastor a form of extremism, or rigid, legalistic, black/white rules and practices, I have pressed myself to re-evaluate those rules and ideas and measure them with scripture using my own eyes and discernment. What freedom! The following article is by Brenda, a… Continue reading Can our Faith and Love Co-Exist with Extremism?
* * * Survivors of abuse have to climb many mountains. The first mountain is acknowledging the fact that they are being abused. Then they have to decide what to do. They are left emotionally reeling and yet, have to survive, take care of their children, put food on the table,… Continue reading Financial Ramifications of Abuse: What’s a Church to Do?
* * * The following is a guest post by my long-time friend, Maryl Smith. In Maryl's work, she has the opportunity to get acquainted with people in a more personal setting. She is very sensitive and a big support to people who have endured all kinds of abuse, including spiritual… Continue reading Moved by Compassion: The Story of Cherith
* * * Personal disclaimer: I was alerted to two local news articles this morning and struggled with whether or not I should share them with you because of the personal connections as you will soon see. After conferring with others and checking my heart, I am going to share them.… Continue reading The Legal Rights of Christians vs Mercy and Love of Christ
* * * But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blpasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a… Continue reading Beaverton Grace Bible Church and Pastor Chuck O’Neal – A Year after They Lost the Defamation Lawsuit
* * * It's not always easy growing up in a Christian fundamentalist homeschool environment. I have been seeing an increasing number of homeschool graduates "coming out" in more ways than one. As a Christian homeschooling mom of over 20 years, we didn't think about our own kids coming out sexually.… Continue reading Christian Homeschool Dad Takes on LGBT Former Homeschooler
* * * Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27 I think this is true street evangelism right here. It is being done on a busy street,… Continue reading Effective Street Evangelism with Changed Lives? Yes! Right here!
* * * Jesus wept. John 11:35 Yesterday, I got ten times mores hits on my blog than usual - all because of someone's tweet - - someone who should know better - but who said something so shocking that people came to see the tweet for themselves (the tweet had… Continue reading What Do Victims of Natural Disasters Need? A Survivor Shares
* * * We've had great ongoing discussion on Doctrine as “God”: C.J. Mahaney and Apathy of Celebrity Peers. I'm right in the middle of a new post, but it's taking a bit more time. When I just saw Wesley post this comment, he asks such an important question because this seems to… Continue reading Who gets to decide what is “real” love?
* * * As a follow-up to the article, What is Real Christian Love? Is This it?, I found an enlightening conversation between Tony Miano and Ken of Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry (CARM) and two other individuals. Tony Miano was recently in Portland at a conference put on by CARM and after the conference,… Continue reading Is it Love or Not? Street Evangelists Defend Their Method