I can't imagine the level of psychological trauma, pain & horror as Joshua (and Shannon) began to discover a lot of their framework for their life was built on religion & false fears & manipulated, pseudo acts of "love."
My Thoughts: Josh Harris (I Kissed Dating Good-bye) and His Wife, Shannon, Announce Marital Separation
But it makes me once again question those ideologies that led up to this point. It makes me think about spiritual abuse. It makes me think about Patriarchy. What significant changes were made in their journey? What ideologies did each one keep, and each one ditch?
Josh Harris Discontinues the Publication of ‘I Kissed Dating Goodbye’
Joshua Harris, I Kissed Dating Goodbye, Courtship, Dating *** Josh Harris, former senior pastor at Covenant Life Church - the flagship church of then Sovereign Grace Ministries church - has posted a statement at his website (statement follows). After considerable thought has decided to cease publishing his very influential book, I Kissed Dating Goodbye. I… Continue reading Josh Harris Discontinues the Publication of ‘I Kissed Dating Goodbye’
A Young Woman’s Personal Story: The Residual Effects of the Teachings by Doug Philips, Bill Gothard, and Patriarchy
Doug Phillips, Patriarchy, Vision Forum, Stay-at-home daughters, Courtship, Quiverfull, Bill Gothard It's been a while since I've posted anything about Doug Phillips, Vision Forum, Bill Gothard, or Patriarchy teachings. A young woman who identified as "Done Running" posted her personal story and it deserves its own post. Done Running describes the residual effects of patriarchal… Continue reading A Young Woman’s Personal Story: The Residual Effects of the Teachings by Doug Philips, Bill Gothard, and Patriarchy
Capturing the Minds of Daughters via Reconstructionism, Gary DeMar, The American Vision, and the Homeschool Movement
The American Vision, Gary DeMar, Rushdoony, Gary North, Reconstructionism, Dominionism, Homeschool Movement, Quiverfull, Patriarchy, Doug Phillips, Daughters With the demise of the mministry of Doug Phillips, and now the negative connotations of the word patriarchy, I've wondered what would be happening in Reconstructionist/Dominionist circles. It's been a while since I've written about Reconstructionism/Dominionism and… Continue reading Capturing the Minds of Daughters via Reconstructionism, Gary DeMar, The American Vision, and the Homeschool Movement
Has Josh Harris Kissed His Book Against Dating Good-Bye?
Josh Harris, I Kissed Dating Goodbye, Courtship vs. Dating Yesterday, this happened on Twitter: https://twitter.com/elizabethesther/status/730233972404322304 https://twitter.com/HarrisJosh/status/730239252978491392 https://twitter.com/HarrisJosh/status/730241156622123008 Many are probably familiar with Josh Harris. He was mentored by C.J. Mahaney and took Mahaney's position as senior pastor at Covenant Life Church (Sovereign Grace Ministries flagship church) in 2004 until 2015, when he resigned. Michelle… Continue reading Has Josh Harris Kissed His Book Against Dating Good-Bye?
My Meeting with Heather Wilson to Discuss Doug Wilson & Sex Abuse Scandals
"Now where is the scandal in this?" ~Doug Wilson Steven Sitler, Christ Church, Moscow ID, New Saint Andrews, Pedophile When I was tweeting about my upcoming visit to Moscow, I received a tweet from Heather Wilson. At the time, I didn’t realize she was related to Doug Wilson, but later I received an e-mail from… Continue reading My Meeting with Heather Wilson to Discuss Doug Wilson & Sex Abuse Scandals
Pastor Doug Wilson, A Serial Pedophile, and the Real Victims
Pastor Doug Wilson and Ed Iverson encourage marriage of Pedophile Steven Sitler, Christ Church Sins are like grapes; they come in bunches. ~Doug Wilson I read a disturbing article yesterday that sent me reeling. I think we always want to hope for the best in people, but after having seen this pattern taken place so… Continue reading Pastor Doug Wilson, A Serial Pedophile, and the Real Victims
How has the Josh Duggar Scandal affected you? Are you experiencing painful reminders?
Josh Duggar, sex scandal, painful reminders, homeschool movement, patriarchy, purity and modesty culture, Bill Gothard *** *** With the recent disclosure of sexual infidelity by Josh Duggar, I have been noticing a lot of people who have been influenced by Patriarchy, Quiverfull, Bill Gothard, Homeschool Movement, etc, trying to make sense of what is going… Continue reading How has the Josh Duggar Scandal affected you? Are you experiencing painful reminders?
Pastor Matt Chandler on Couples Who are Courting: “How Far is Too Far?”
*** Pastor Matt Chandler gives advice on couples who are courting: "how far can we go?" *** On the Wretched show, Todd Friel read a viewer's question, "Once I start courting somebody, are we allowed to do anything?" Friel showed a video clip of Pastor Matt Chandler of The Village Church with his wife sitting… Continue reading Pastor Matt Chandler on Couples Who are Courting: “How Far is Too Far?”
An Update on Bethany: Almost Trapped in the Christian Patriarchy Movement
*** Last year, I posted a personal story (A Young Woman’s Relationship with Her Boyfriend is Shattered by Christian Patriarchy) from "Bethany" who was struggling in a relationship with her boyfriend, whose family was involved in the Christian Patriarchy Movement influenced by the likes of Doug Phillips, Bill Gothard, etc. I received a follow-up e-mail from Bethany, almost… Continue reading An Update on Bethany: Almost Trapped in the Christian Patriarchy Movement
Questions for Dads to Ask Young Men Who are Interested in Their Daughter
*** Questions for dads to ask young men who are interested in their daughter *** *** This was posted on Todd Friel's Wretched Facebook page and is entitled: Not Rude Questions for a Young Man by Robert Bowen and Todd Friel We are not barbarians. Dads should not threaten a potential suitor with a fire-arm. … Continue reading Questions for Dads to Ask Young Men Who are Interested in Their Daughter
Desiring God and Daddies Dating…Their Daughters’ Boyfriends? Is John Piper Promoting Patriarchy?
Are Desiring God & John Piper shifting to "Biblical Patriarchy" over complementarianism, following Gregg Harris', Bill Gothard's, Scott Brown's, Doug Phillips' and Doug Wilson's courtship model? by Cindy Kunsman The champions of patriarchy worked hard last week, busy on the front lines by saving the world through their insight and wisdom. On June 11,… Continue reading Desiring God and Daddies Dating…Their Daughters’ Boyfriends? Is John Piper Promoting Patriarchy?
David Bayly’s Ideas on Courtship and Marriage as a Battle until His Bride Surrenders
*** David Bayly's ideas on courtship and marriage as a battle and raging war of a man against his virgin bride to be conquered until she surrenders, similar to Doug Wilson *** This men-conquering-women-thang really gets my goat. What is up with that? Ok, thanks to Cindy, I found an old blog post by Bayly… Continue reading David Bayly’s Ideas on Courtship and Marriage as a Battle until His Bride Surrenders
The Christian Patriarchy Movement’s Dark Secret of Wife Spanking
* * * As Doug Phillips and his Vision Forum ministry is sinking, stories of abuse among Christian Patriarchy are surfacing: domestic violence, wife spanking, etc, among other well-known circles such as RC Sproul Jr., etc. * * * Warning: this is a heavy and disturbing article.… Continue reading The Christian Patriarchy Movement’s Dark Secret of Wife Spanking
A Young Woman’s Relationship with Her Boyfriend is Shattered by Christian Patriarchy
* * * Personal story of a relationship broken by legalistic pressures brought on by teachings from Doug Phillips, Vision Forum and Christian Patriarchy ideology within the Homeschool Movement. *** A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from "Bethany" who shared her personal story with me and just recently she… Continue reading A Young Woman’s Relationship with Her Boyfriend is Shattered by Christian Patriarchy
Doug Phillips: Repentance and Restoration – Is it Possible?
* * * Articles continue to be written about fallen pastor and Christian ministry leader and pastor, Doug Phillips, who resigned from the non-profit arm of Vision Forum Ministries and from his public speaking engagements. But what is next? What does repentance and restoration look like? Can or should he assume… Continue reading Doug Phillips: Repentance and Restoration – Is it Possible?
Are Daughters the Biggest Threat to the Christian Patriarchy Movement and Reconstructionism?
* * * It is my belief that Christian leaders in the Reconstructionist and Homeschool Movements view their adult daughters as the biggest threat to their agenda in furthering their ideologies. In this video trailer of The Return of the Daughters, you can hear the urgency of this movement, the fear-mongering blaming the feminists as… Continue reading Are Daughters the Biggest Threat to the Christian Patriarchy Movement and Reconstructionism?
Homeschooled Adult Daughters Held Captive at Home, Prevented from Getting College Education
* * * In an effort to "raise up a child in the way they should go," some Christian homeschool parents are essentially kidnapping their daughters, only teaching "homemaking" skills, even denying and preventing them from getting a college education. * * * There are too many… Continue reading Homeschooled Adult Daughters Held Captive at Home, Prevented from Getting College Education
Voddie Baucham: Prescription for Spanking and the Shy Child
* * * One of the traps that we got ourselves caught in was looking to religious leaders for guidance on how to raise our children. It's ok to seek guidance, but we didn't always check what we learned with scripture. We read a lot of books and went to parenting… Continue reading Voddie Baucham: Prescription for Spanking and the Shy Child