David and Louise Turpin, Homeschool, Cult, Abuse, Torture
Most likely you have heard the news about the large homeschooling family, the Turpins, from California. The parents, David, 57, and Louise, 49, Turpin who were arrested for torture and child endangerment, with bail set at $9 million each. Here are some of the key facts:
- David and Louise Turpin are the biological parents of 13 children ranging in age of 2 years to 29 years old.
- They live in Perris, California, not too far from Los Angeles.
- Their 17-yr old daughter escaped from her home early Sunday morning by climbing out of a window, and used a deactivated cell phone to contact authorities. She showed the police photos of the living conditions of the home which convinced authorities to do a welfare check at the house.
- When authorities arrived, they found several children shackled to beds or furniture by chain and padlocks.
- The children were found pale and extremely emaciated.
- It was reported that the 17-yr old looked to be approximately 10 years old. The other adults, too, looked very young for their age.
- David and Louise Anna Turpin were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment.
- The minor children were taken to one hospital, and the adult children were taken to another. All were given food and drink, and admitted for treatment.
- “US reports say Louise’s parents had tried to visit their daughter and son-in-law in the past, and had to turn back at the airport when the Turpins refused to provide their street address.” Source
- They were known to be hoarders, and the home was dark and had a foul odor.
- The children were rarely seen outside. Neighbors had no clue there were 13 children (and adult children) living in the home.
- They were deeply religious, and were forced to memorize chapters of the Bible
- David Turpin registered his homeschool under the name, Sandcastle Day School in 2011.