*** Pastor Matt Chandler gives advice on couples who are courting: "how far can we go?" *** On the Wretched show, Todd Friel read a viewer's question, "Once I start courting somebody, are we allowed to do anything?" Friel showed a video clip of Pastor Matt Chandler of The Village Church with his wife sitting… Continue reading Pastor Matt Chandler on Couples Who are Courting: “How Far is Too Far?”
*** Scott Brown, the Christian Patriarchy Movement, Muslims, Women and Birth Control *** Since the fall of Doug Phillips and Bill Gothard, voices in the Homeschool Movement have been quiet about some of their pet topics, perhaps trying to let the dust settle on the aftermath of the Christian Patriarchy Movement and the alleged sex abuse… Continue reading Pastor and Homeschool Leader Scott Brown Empathizes with Turkish President who says Birth Control is Treason
Rachel Patrick shares personal experiences at Bob Jones University Rachel Patrick was a former student of Bob Jones University (BJU). Although she did not participate in the GRACE investigation, she recently gave a public statement on Facebook, giving permission to share it. It is copied in its entirety as follows: *** I have made this post… Continue reading Personal Account from Former BJU Student
*** Todd Friel discusses how to talk to youth about virginity and what to say if they fail. We've talked about the purity culture that some of our teens have been taught (Soul Tied: Harmful Spiritual Conclusions about Sex Abuse, Purity Culture, and Sex Abuse Victims). What do you think about this new video… Continue reading Teaching youth about virginity and forgiveness via Todd Friel
*** Christian leaders put their spiritual spin on sexual abuse and premarital sex and devalue young women in the process. *** The church has sometimes done a poor job on handling sex abuse and premarital sex and I was reminded once again this week. But let me back up and give other examples of how… Continue reading Soul Tied: Harmful Spiritual Conclusions about Sex Abuse, Purity Culture, and Sex Abuse Victims
* * * Kevin Swanson defends his friend, Bill Gothard against accusations of sexual harassment, while accusing Spiritual Sounding Board and Patheos.com blogs of dancing on the grave of Christian fundamentalism and Biblical Christianity. * * * Last week, I was notified by a Twitter friend/follower that… Continue reading Kevin Swanson Defends Bill Gothard’s Sexual Harassment Charges While Publicly Trash Talks Blogs
* * * Personal story of a relationship broken by legalistic pressures brought on by teachings from Doug Phillips, Vision Forum and Christian Patriarchy ideology within the Homeschool Movement. *** A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from "Bethany" who shared her personal story with me and just recently she… Continue reading A Young Woman’s Relationship with Her Boyfriend is Shattered by Christian Patriarchy
* * * The Doug Phillips Vision Forum scandal has left homeschooling families reeling and questioning: what now, where do we go from here? What about Patriarchy, Full-Quiver, Courtship, Parenting? A Concerned Dad asks some great questions. * * * Over the weekend, I got an excellent e-mail… Continue reading After the Doug Phillips Vision Forum Scandal: What Should We as Homeschoolers Parents Do Now?
* * * In some conservative Biblical Patriarchal circles, young ladies remain at home, sheltered, under the protection of their father. They are generally not allowed to work outside the home or attend college. This is in order to "protect" them from worldly influence. Could this practice be setting up these… Continue reading Does the Doug Phillips et al Brand of “Biblical Patriarchy” Groom Stay-at-Home Daughters to be Victims of Abuse?
* * * It is my belief that Christian leaders in the Reconstructionist and Homeschool Movements view their adult daughters as the biggest threat to their agenda in furthering their ideologies. In this video trailer of The Return of the Daughters, you can hear the urgency of this movement, the fear-mongering blaming the feminists as… Continue reading Are Daughters the Biggest Threat to the Christian Patriarchy Movement and Reconstructionism?
* * * The other day 18-yr old daughter posted this picture on my Facebook with the comment, "What I tell you every time." * * * * * * It cracked me up. But what was interesting to me was noticing the large amount of Facebook friends, also former homeschool kids, who were clicking… Continue reading Enough Already with the Modesty & Purity Hype
* * * One of the traps that we got ourselves caught in was looking to religious leaders for guidance on how to raise our children. It's ok to seek guidance, but we didn't always check what we learned with scripture. We read a lot of books and went to parenting… Continue reading Voddie Baucham: Prescription for Spanking and the Shy Child
* * * Turn your fans on, folks, Song of Solomon is hot with passionate love and it isn't of the Puritan kind: With great delight I sat in his shadow, and his fruit was sweet to my taste. His left hand is under my head, and his right hand embraces me! (JA still vividly… Continue reading Purity Gone Too Far?
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 You see that verse? Probably every homeschool parent heard that verse too many times to count throughout their homeschooling years. It was engrained in us. We did not want our children to… Continue reading Homeschoolers Anonymous and Training up Children the Homeschool Movement Way
* * * * * * * * * * He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does… Continue reading The Culture of Abuse in Churches Similar to Sovereign Grace Ministries
* * * “And though it be their sin and vanity that is the cause [of lust], it is nevertheless your sin to be the unnecessary occasion…You must not lay a stumbling-block in their way, nor blow up the fire of their lust…You must walk among sinful persons as you would… Continue reading Follow-Up on Christian Modesty Police from IsThisModest.com Blog
Did you know there is a Christian dress code? Evidently there is. Modesty is a hot topic in the homeschool movement and in conservative Christian churches. Some people have been taught or have assumed the responsibility of telling others, specifically women, how they should be dressing. In fact, this is a hot topic… Continue reading 36-yr old Male Blogger Scours the Net Using Pics of Young Ladies so He Can be Christian Modesty Police
"We are authorized by God to challenge all that is not godly!" Rushdoony thundered. "God is angry with the wicked every day, and the sins of the wicked deserve the infliction of God's wrath in this life as well as the life hereafter!" RushdoonyI know the title of this post seems dry and boring. If… Continue reading The Homeschool Movement: Its Reconstructionist Roots and Rushdoony’s Influence
I'm still getting comments on the UnMarried movie posts (More Background Info on the Movie: UnMarried and UnMarried Movie: Is Staying Single Sabotaging Chr... ) and today while looking through my Twitter feed, I noticed quite a few tweets on the topics of modesty and purity. In case you missed the brief movie trailer, here it is:I've discussed… Continue reading The UnMarried Movie: Singleness as a Result of Rigid and Controlled Parenting
* * * Over the past couple months, I've been sharing bits and pieces of the homeschooling movement as it ties in with abuse in churches. I've connected a number of times with Chryssie Rose who reads here and is also a blogger and asked if she could share her courtship… Continue reading A Courtship Story: Chryssie Rose