* * * Personal story of a relationship broken by legalistic pressures brought on by teachings from Doug Phillips, Vision Forum and Christian Patriarchy ideology within the Homeschool Movement. *** A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from "Bethany" who shared her personal story with me and just recently she… Continue reading A Young Woman’s Relationship with Her Boyfriend is Shattered by Christian Patriarchy
Tag: Homeschool Movement
Does the Doug Phillips et al Brand of “Biblical Patriarchy” Groom Stay-at-Home Daughters to be Victims of Abuse?
* * * In some conservative Biblical Patriarchal circles, young ladies remain at home, sheltered, under the protection of their father. They are generally not allowed to work outside the home or attend college. This is in order to "protect" them from worldly influence. Could this practice be setting up these… Continue reading Does the Doug Phillips et al Brand of “Biblical Patriarchy” Groom Stay-at-Home Daughters to be Victims of Abuse?
Doug Phillips: The Patriarch and His Personal Failure
* * * Doug Phillips, founder of Vision Forum, the man who preached and taught men how to be godly fathers and husbands and how to have godly families, stumbled hard when he admitted that he had dishonored his marriage vows by having a physical relationship with a woman who was… Continue reading Doug Phillips: The Patriarch and His Personal Failure
In the Wake of the Doug Phillips Affair, a Mother Grieves and Seeks Our Prayers
* * * The Doug Phillips affair has touched many lives. Read as a mother cries out for prayer as she "fostered some pretty difficult beliefs" on her children by adhering to teachings in the Homeschool Movement and Doug Phillips and Vision Forum. * * * Hear… Continue reading In the Wake of the Doug Phillips Affair, a Mother Grieves and Seeks Our Prayers
Chalcedon Foundation Privately Donated Funds to Joe Taylor to Help His Legal Defense Against Doug Phillips
* * * Chalcedon Foundation discloses they privately contributed to Joe Taylor's legal defense against Doug Phillips, and discussion on Reconstructionism and "Biblical Patriarchy" * * * Further developments have unfolded on the Doug Phillips story and I will try to briefly recap them since the content… Continue reading Chalcedon Foundation Privately Donated Funds to Joe Taylor to Help His Legal Defense Against Doug Phillips
People Affected by Doug Phillips’s Ministry: What Now?
* * * Prominent homeschool and Christian leader Doug Phillips has fallen. What happens with those he has led? Where do they find their foundation again? * * * * * * A comment came in yesterday and several of you have already… Continue reading People Affected by Doug Phillips’s Ministry: What Now?
Homeschooled Adult Daughters Held Captive at Home, Prevented from Getting College Education
* * * In an effort to "raise up a child in the way they should go," some Christian homeschool parents are essentially kidnapping their daughters, only teaching "homemaking" skills, even denying and preventing them from getting a college education. * * * There are too many… Continue reading Homeschooled Adult Daughters Held Captive at Home, Prevented from Getting College Education
What Does a Sheikh and a Homeschool Leader and Pastor Have in Common?
* * * * * * Just how close is the homeschool fundamental version of Patriarchy to Islam? I think it's pretty darn close. Check this out. Remember this from Christian Homeschool Leader and Pastor Kevin Swanson? * * * * … Continue reading What Does a Sheikh and a Homeschool Leader and Pastor Have in Common?
Adult Children Shunned by Homeschool Parents: Selah’s Story
* * * We recently discussed the challenges that some former homeschool students face when they leave their home. This story is quite different from the last story, but it, too, deals with painful and strained relationships with fundamental Christian parents who were influenced by the subculture of the Homeschool Movement.… Continue reading Adult Children Shunned by Homeschool Parents: Selah’s Story