*** Seeing Clearly Again after Spiritual Abuse *** Have you seen this video which has been spreading around? It is the cutest thing ever and shows a precious baby, Piper, who does not want her mama to put on her new glasses. But after she gets her new glasses on, Piper's face lights up as she hears… Continue reading Piper’s New Glasses and Seeing Clearly after Wearing Distorted Lenses of Spiritual Abuse
* * * Yesterday, brad/futuristguy left a comment which was so good. If you haven't read it, please do. Brad is so insightful in his understanding of spiritual abuse. I've learned much from him. His comment prompted excellent questions by reader, Interested Party. I'll quote part of Brad's post which prompted… Continue reading How Love Bombing Sucked Us in to a Spiritually Abusive Church
Before I get to the subject of this article, I wanted to give a brief update on my court case: I've had a few people asking me on the blog and privately if my former pastor has paid the attorney's fees. He and/or the church did pay the attorney fees for the two defendants who… Continue reading Are Bloggers & the Internet Having a Direct Effect on Churches and Their Policies?
* * * A common trait of a controlling church is that you may be kept so busy, there is little time for anything outside of church. I'm going to use SQ's comment below to springboard two posts. This first post will discuss the pressure to serve. The second will… Continue reading The Pressure to Serve in a Controlling Church
I received an e-mail from a missionary today who was involved in a church whose pastor used similar tactics with church members as my former pastor. He sent me a link to look at and I realized I could easily replace his pastor's name with my former pastor's name; he said the same thing… Continue reading False Teachers Who Mark and Avoid Church Members
* * * I've been excited about this next post and couldn't wait any longer to share it with you! The MSNBC.com article regarding my case brought a number of visitors to the blog. One person was Craig Vick, who also is a pastor. He read the blog and stayed, participating… Continue reading A Parable of Suffering
* * * I'm a little bit surprised if you are still reading my blog. The last three posts were rigged to make a point and I took you on a ride without your permission so you could understand first-hand what it felt like. I tricked you and purposefully kept the… Continue reading Survival Strategies for Hyper-Authoritarian and Repetitive Sermons
"Flying Free" by 9-yr old Resident Artist Now, on to much lovelier topics. I really want you to read this . . . I want to share a story with you about a person named Justice. Justice is not this person's real name and you'll have to pardon the awkwardness of pronouns in this article… Continue reading Justice: Becoming Free
* * * And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men. Matthew 15:9 My family didn’t have too many problems with modesty. Prior to coming to Beaverton Grace Bible Church, we didn’t have any “formal” teaching on modesty. It was a natural and seemingly obvious… Continue reading Legalism: Do Not Expose Your Thighs!
** This post will wrap up the Korah series. Earlier, I highlighted some "Korah" comments in the comment section. The commenter identified as "Korah" and I made light of the Korah reference. I want to give a little background to that situation. I know who "Korah" is and know what this particular family experienced. When… Continue reading Just Who is Acting Like Korah Around Here, Part 4
* * * "Pulpit", from the eyes of my 9-yr old son * * * According to Wikipedia.org, a bully pulpit is: "An older term within the U.S. Government, a bully pulpit is a public office or other position of authority of sufficiently high rank that provides… Continue reading The Bully Pulpit
*** ** Someone referred to an article in the comment's section of this post: You Just Can't Make This Stuff Up, Part 2. As I read the original article, this paragraph struck me. From the article, 'Authoritarianism in The Church" by Steve Martin Sadly, in too many congregations today, sheep are driven by a man… Continue reading Is Your Pastor Acting as Your Holy Spirit?
* * * My children regularly attended children's church. Regretfully, my husband and I did not take note of what was being taught in children's church. We trusted everything was fine because we trusted the leadership. It was shocking to me when I discovered after 2 years and two months that… Continue reading Children’s Church at Beaverton Grace Bible Church