R.C. Sproul, Jr., Growing Up with R.C., Tullian Tchividjian, Ichthus Publishing, Unrepentant Leaders
R.C. Sproul, Jr. Publishes New Book wtih Ichthus Publications
R.C. Sproul, Jr. has a new book coming out, published by Ichthus Publications (what were they thinking???).
I suppose those who loved his late father, R.C. Sproul, Sr., might want to get a more personal glimpse into the man to whom many have looked for spiritual guidance and wisdom. He certainly has been respected for years, especially in Reformed church circles. I get that.
But R.C. Sproul, Jr., has done harm to many, including his own children. Valerie Jacobsen (updated 3/28: Valerie is not R.C. Sproul, Jr.,’s daughter) posted a listing of Sproul’s offenses and saved me some time:
Drunk driving with children. 0.175. Couldn’t even stand up. He’s on audio stating that when he went into court the next morning, he had no memory of the previous evening and didn’t even know if his boys were alive or dead.
This wasn’t “a little bit buzzed”. This was reckless endangerment. He’s a drunkard, by definition.
Ashley Madison and then lying, lying, and lying again, never telling the truth about it.
Raging at children, taunting them, and trying to erase their mother’s memory by destroying and withholding photographs and mementos.
Hyper-controlling, hyper-patriarchy, legalism. See Matt 23:4, not a light matter.
False teachings on grace and repentance.
Defrocked for abusing sheep and misusing funds.
Long history of contumacy, pugnacious, divisive.
All publicly, before many witnesses, with readily available documentation.
Leaving an email address at Ashley Madison is the FINAL step after listing all the kinds of hookups you want and all the perversions you are into. I verified this myself, at the site, at the time. Not sorry I did, either. Two or three witnesses principle. Check on a story that seems radically improbable.
[Update 3/27/19 10:00 pm: I had been getting questions on Twitter regarding R.C. Sproul, Jr. being a member of a Foursquare Pentecostal Church (from Valerie’s quoted comment above). I contacted one of his estranged adult children who told me the name of the church: Pine Hills Church in Fort Wayne. After looking at the church website, I could find no indication that it was a Foursquare church; however, I did find this which has the same Pine Hills Church listed and has Foursquare shown at the top of the site. This may be the cause of the confusion. I have since removed the errant sentence from Valerie’s comment above. ~ja]
[Update 3/28/19 10:20 am: I have added a couple of tweets. One from RC Sproul, Jr., verifying where he currently attends church. The next tweet shows a message from Pine Hills Church when I inquired if their church is charismatic and asked about the denomination. The response speaks for itself. Although the church is not an official “Foursquare” church, it appears they are welcoming of the charismatic gifts.
If that wasn’t bad enough, look who wrote the book’s foreword:
Tullian Tchividjian – Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church’s ousted pastor who was caught in serial clergy sexual misconduct, and who has never repented to the victims he harmed! Unbelievable!
Using Cheap Grace for Personal Gain
This is not cool. Both Sproul and Tchividjian have used their personal accounts of grievous sin to gain credibility, visibility, and an income. For R.C. Sproul, Jr. to capitalize on his father’s recent death and pull the heartstrings of those who admired his father is inappropriate. Both men have left a trail of shattered relationships.
Everyone has a personal sin story and can relate to being separated from God at one time or another, but to take advantage of that personal sin account without repentance and restoration of important family/friend relationships makes God’s grace cheap. It is wrong.
Finally, I leave you with a quote from one of R.C. Sproul, Jr.’s adult children. I communicated directly with one of his children and received confirmed that this quote was from one of them (and also received permission to post it here).
UPDATE: Please note, I have removed and exchanged the original statement which was posted below by request of the author. The former statement had stronger language. ~ja
Myself and RC Jr’s other adult children are estranged from him. We do not support this book or his return to public ministry.”
- Related articles:
- R.C. Sproul, Jr. Steps Down from Ligonier Ministries and Reformation Bible College
- RC Sproul Jr Is Now a Convicted Felon Alcoholic and Is One Step Away From a Tragedy
- RC Sproul Jr. Avoids Prison, Takes Plea Deal for Driving Drunk With Kids
- https://relevantmagazine.com/god/rc-sproul-jr-suspended-ministry-after-admitting-visiting-ashley-madison/R.C. Sproul Jr. Suspended from Ministry after Admitting to ‘Visiting’ Ashley Madison
- Let’s Take a Breather With A Bizarre Story about R.C. Sproul Jr and the Pittsburgh Pirates. This Is NOT a Parody!
- Tullian Tchividjian and Fortress Press: Don’t Legitimate Second Chances Require a Real Track Record of Repentance First?
- 2. An Infographic on Tullian Tchividjian’s Pursuit of Women and a Public/Publication Platform
- GRACE Releases Statement Regarding Tullian Tchividjian – Supports Victims, Challenges Churches with Constructive Changes
- 1. Third Woman Victim of Tullian Tchividjian’s Seduction Gives Details; She Reportedly Extends Timeline of His Adulteries Back into 2013
- Survivor of Tullian Tchividjian’s Alleged Clergy Sexual Abuse Goes Public with Her Story – Part 1
- Survivor of Tullian Tchividjian’s Alleged Clergy Sexual Abuse Goes Public with Her Story – Part 2
- Survivor of Tullian Tchividjian’s Alleged Clergy Sexual Abuse Goes Public with Her Story – Part 3
- Survivor of Tullian Tchividjian’s Alleged Clergy Sexual Abuse Goes Public with Her Story – Part 4
- Tullian Tchividjian – Partial Timeline of Alleged Clergy Sexual Abuse and Spiritual Abuse
- Pastors Tullian Tchividjian + Bob Coy + Sexual Sin + Church Leaders Who Protect Immoral Pastors = A Broken Church
- Tullian Tchividjian Stripped of Pastor Credentials; Continues Speaking Behind the Pulpits of Twitter and Facebook