Vision Forum’s fallen patriarchal leader, Doug Phillips, has become a member of another church without obtaining the required “letter of transfer” from the church he established and formerly led, Boerne Christian Assembly
I’ve been hearing about this news for quite some time, but now it is official. Boerne Christian Assembly (BCA), the family-integrated church which Doug Phillips founded, has issued a formal statement on their website regarding Doug Phillips:
Also of interest, Bob Sarratt, who was previously listed as elder along with Doug Phillips when I took this screen shot November 2, 2013, is no longer listed on the church website. Word on the block is that Bob Sarratt stepped down after the Phillips fiasco and who can blame him?
This is a current screenshot showing Jeff Horn and David Fry as elders:
Also of interest is an article posted about Biblical repentance based on a recent sermon. I think the timing of the article is relevant in light of Doug Phillips changing church memberships without receiving a “letter of transfer” from BCA. Here’s why:
Boerne Christian Assembly is showing the world what they view as Biblical repentance and what they expect from Phillips. Previously, Phillips issued a statement, and then a clarifying statement. Both statements did not pass the test of voluntary confession with remorse. The following is from BCA’s article about Biblical repentance:
Here is the sorrow of hypocrites:
- Their sorrow lies in their faces. Jesus said ‘they disfigure their faces’ (Mt. 6). They make a sour face, even express great emotion, but their sorrow is counterfeit.
- Hypocrites make no restitution, thus expressing disdain for the law of God (Nu. 5:7). Hypocrites state why restitution can’t be made, or make false restitutions that cost them nothing. Augustine said, “Without restitution, no remission.”
- Hypocrites generalize sin and make the least of it. While the repentant detail their sin, hypocrites sanitize their sin.
- Hypocrites blame others. Saul said, ‘I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord: because I feared the people‘ (I Sam 15). Saul lays his sin upon the people. It was a defense of himself, not a self-indictment. Adam did the same, blaming both Eve AND God. Blame-shifting is a sure fire way to identify a fake penitent.
We’ve spoken about church memberships before and I’m not too keen on them. But Phillips, having founded BCA, surely knows BCA’s established guidelines on church membership. BCA makes this very clear in their public statement about Phillips:
Recently, contrary to the position established many years ago at Boerne Christian Assembly under his Eldership and which he reaffirmed on multiple occasions . .
The point being, BCA leadership is claiming that Phillips elected to violate the guidelines he himself established when he left Boerne Christian Assembly to become members at a new church.
The Biblical repentance article is also notable because it is the first time anything has been posted since February of 2008. That’s over six years!
I think it’s pretty safe to say that with both the recent public statement and repentance article, Boerne Christian Assembly leaders are demonstrating to us that Doug Phillips has not shown himself to be Biblically repentant.
By the way, I really like the article on Biblical repentance and this is the kind of standard that should be held for all abusers. It really is good and I encourage you to read it. Here are a couple of excerpts:
Did you know that not all sorrow is repentance? That someone can pretend to have sorrow, yet not be repentant at all? But more than that did you know that godly sorrow brings joy? Have you ever repented and felt the joy that comes? Godly sorrow, not only leads to salvation, but also brings rejoicing. This is one acid test of Biblical repentance. If there is no joy, on one level or another, to the person, and no happiness to the ones offended, you can be sure that there is no repentance.
And this is also good:
The nature of Biblical repentance is this: it is a grace of God’s Spirit whereby a sinner is inwardly humbled and visibly reformed. Therefore, many people can witness this transformation. Words out of the mouth and expressions of emotion can NEVER ALONE speak to Biblical Repentance.
- Doug Phillips: Question about Pastoral Position, Timeline of Events, and Understanding True Repentance
- Doug Phillips Resigns from Office of President at Vision Forum, Discontinues Speaking Engagements
- Doug Phillips: Repentance and Restoration – Is it Possible?
- The Board of Vision Forum Ministries Announces the Closing of Vision Forum Ministries